June Update: Startup 101 & Foundational Workshops, Inc.com, and Edmonton Startup Week 2017!
Thank you for helping us celebrate our Mercer Warehouse 5th anniversary in May! We had a wonderful time connecting with current and past member companies, Launch Party alumni, and all of the community members that help make our space in the historic Mercer Warehouse come alive at more than 285+ events a year.
June is a great opportunity to get started on your project or product idea before all the hustle and bustle of the summer months! We have lots of workshops coming up including Startup 101: Managing Cashflow with our friends from PwC, Business Model 101, Product Toolkit, and a special introduction to design thinking at the Google Shop.
I look forward to seeing you soon!
MERCER WAREHOUSE & STARTUP EDMONTON ON INC.COM
Investor and author, Kelly Hoey traveled to Edmonton in May to share her approach to meaningful networking. Kelly met with founders, companies, and the community and we look forward to welcoming her back soon!
She shared her reflection on the community on Inc.com and included some tips from Startup Edmonton for others looking to build and support entrepreneurial communities in their cities. Check out the full article: Creating a welcoming space for every entrepreneur to take risks.
"Community creates a safety net for people that are taking big risks. At Startup Edmonton and the Mercer Warehouse, people are trying their hand at really risky endeavors - tech startups, independent restaurants, small batch manufacturers, and artists. We support one another's businesses, but more importantly, we're friends, champions, word-of-mouth-spreaders, and peers." - Tiffany Linke-Boyko
STARTUP 101: Managing Cashflow with our friends from PwC
Join our friends from PwC for a 90-minute workshop and Ask Me Anything session tackling some of the most pressing financial topics for entrepreneurs, small business owners, and startup founders. Topics include:
- Cash flow basics
- How to improve cash flow
- Best practices for managing a healthy cash flow
- Preparing a cash flow statement
Armando Pinedo, Partner - PwC, shares his thoughts on Transforming Edmonton through scalable innovation up on the blog.
Our foundational workshops are a great place to learn about entrepreneurship and meet like-minded people.
- Business Model 101 - Tuesday, June 13 at 5:30 PM in the program room. Learn the ins & outs of building a business model. Move from great idea to actionable plan.
- Product Tool Kit: Design Thinking - Thursday, June 22 at 5:00 PM in the program room. One of our most requested workshops, our Product Toolkit helps you build products and services your customers will love. We take a hands-on approach to learning human-centered design principles to move your ideas forward faster, with less wasted resources.
RECOMMENDED READING: Edmonton-based Jobber opens Toronto office to tap into sales and marketing talent via BETAKIT
By Jessica Galang - May 16: A year and a half after it announced an $8 million Series A, Jobber has opened a Toronto sales office as it focuses on growth.
“We have the majority of that money still in the bank thanks to our diligence around how we deploy capital and focusing on profitable growth,” says Jobber CEO Sam Pillar, who adds that the company is profitable.
The Edmonton-based company’s Toronto office will be located at OneEleven, which just hosted the opening of its 250,000 square foot space last week. Jobber has also brought on new VP of marketing David McInInch, who will be responsible for overseeing the company’s growth and go-to-market strategy and leading the new Toronto office. McIninch has 15 years of experience in the marketing industry at companies like ADP, Acquisio, and Morneau Shepell.
WORK AT STARTUP EDMONTON
We're here to support you as you build a tech-enabled product and company. As our member companies grow, workspace becomes available, and we're excited to welcome more founders & their teams to our Mercer Warehouse location.
Why work at Startup Edmonton?
- Creative collisions happen all the time - over lunch in the kitchen, drinks after work or a quick coffee in the big comfy chairs - giving you the chance to learn from your peers and get real-time feedback when you need it the most.
- Surround yourself with other founders and their teams who understand what you're doing and some of the unique challenges that come with being an entrepreneur.
- By working at a vibrant co-working space & community hub, you'll be more likely to take advantage of all the awesome benefits our startup community has to offer. Attend meetups right after the work-day; take advantage of even more Startup Edmonton programming; and meet a wide network of passionate, talented, and driven founders, developers, designers, and technology enthusiasts.
- Great workspace amenities including free coffee, member socials, mentorship hours, and lots of opportunities to profile your company and recruit team members.
GOOGLE SHOP - CELEBRATING CANADIAN TECH
Sunday, June 25 | 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM
Presented in partnership with leading Canadian incubators and accelerators, this series of workshops is designed with the Canadian entrepreneur in mind.
Want to build products and services your customers will love? Then join us at the Google shop, where you’ll learn human-centered design principles to move your ideas forward fast, with less wasted resources. You’ll also learn how to ask the right questions, make a feedback routine, build fast prototypes and solutions that resonate with customers, and more.
EDMONTON STARTUP WEEK 2017
Edmonton Startup Week returns, October 16 - 20! 25+ events in five days, celebrating our city's unique startup community and culture of innovation.
Get involved with Edmonton Startup Week: