August Update: Shared milestones, Preflight 1 - applications open, DemoCamp 37, and more job postings!
I hope this holiday weekend finds you well! This month we have the opportunity to share milestones from some of our member and alumni companies. It's a pleasure to see our city's startup community support and champion so many founders (and their teams) as they launch and grow tech-enabled companies.
There is no better time than now to get started on your idea or share your product with the community. Currently, we have applications open for:
- Preflight 1: Preflight is our year-round program dedicated to supporting your efforts to build, launch, and grow a tech-enabled product. Our next round of guided sessions starts August 22.
- DemoCamp 37: A startup community classic! Join us for technical show-and-tell on September 27.
- Launch Party 8: We're looking for amazing tech-enabled companies for our flagship Edmonton Startup Week event on October 19.
POPPY BARLEY SOUTHGATE FLAGSHIP LOCATION
Photo credit: Poppy Barley Facebook
We had the chance to visit the new Poppy Barley flagship store at Southgate Centre this week! Sisters Justine and Kendall Barber launched Poppy Barley in 2012, and this new expansion is an exciting moment in the company's five-year history. The location provides an immersive experience where you get to know all the people behind the company and products.
Congratulations to the entire team - here in Edmonton and León, Mexico!
- Poppy Barley is a past member of our co-working space and Preflight program, as well as Launch Party alumni.
- We're accepting applications for all of these programs and would love to hear from you!
WORK AT STARTUP EDMONTON & MEMBER UPDATES
We're here to support you as you build a tech-enabled product and company.
Our friends at Pogo CarShare and Gfycat also expanded and are now located in larger offices in the Mercer Warehouse. It's always great when our members & alumni can stay connected as their teams grow!
PREFLIGHT: GO FROM IDEA TO STARTUP
Are you working on a product idea but find it challenging to know if you’re on the right path?
Preflight is our year-round program dedicated to supporting your efforts to build, launch, and grow a tech-enabled product. After working with hundreds of entrepreneurs, we know that hands-on support paired with practical resources is the best way to help.
Programming: We’ve pulled together the top advice and tools from startup leaders around the world and compiled it into a series of sessions, peer groups, and workshops to keep you on the right track.
Mentorship: Our approach to mentorship is simple - the advice you need, when you need it. Access mentorship hours from experienced founders, investors, and professionals from our network.
Partners: Access expert advice and deep discounts from our friends at Dentons (legal), PwC (finance), Hubspot (sales & marketing), 321 Sales Academy (B2B sales), Marvel (prototyping), and Canadian Digital Media Network (partnerships and market access).
RECOMMENDED READING: SUPPORTING A DIVERSIFIED ECONOMY IN ALBERTA
Day-in-and-day-out we see the impact our members and alumni companies have on our city's economy. They are hiring, renting larger office spaces as their teams grow, and bringing investment to the region. It's our pleasure to be of service to these founders, teams, and entrepreneurs each step of the way with programming, mentorship, flexible workspace, and access to a supportive community.
In July, we hosted the Government of Alberta for an exciting announcement regarding the Alberta Entrepreneurship Incubator Program. Edmonton region business incubators TEC Edmonton, NAIT, Northern Alberta Business Incubator, and Startup Edmonton will receive $1.5 million funding over two years from the provincial government to provide increased services to entrepreneurs and startups looking to enter and navigate the innovation system.
EDMONTON STARTUP WEEK
Edmonton Startup Week returns, October 16 - 20! 25+ events in five days, celebrating our city's unique startup community and culture of innovation.
Get involved with Edmonton Startup Week:
Our foundational workshops are a great place to learn about entrepreneurship and meet like-minded people.
- Business Model 101 - Tuesday, August 8 at 5:30 PM in the program room. Learn the ins & outs of building a business model. Move from great idea to actionable plan.
- Startup 101: Prototyping Made Easy - Wednesday, August 30 at 12:00 PM in the program room. 90 min session on the fundamentals of prototyping for a web or mobile app.