I have the honour of working with hundreds of founders, entrepreneurs, and community builders in my day-to-day work here at Startup Edmonton. It's an amazing opportunity to help shape my city while supporting passionate people as they tackle problems, large and small, using technology. Before coming to Startup Edmonton, I was lucky enough to find a professional home in Edmonton's thriving arts community. I'm still surprised how similar the process, risks, and unrelenting drive is for artists and founders.
In addition to my work at Startup Edmonton, I squeeze in time to volunteer - it's where I met some of my closest friends and fell head-over-heels for Edmonton. Currently, I'm helping the Centre for Family Literacy on a social enterprise project and with the SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event as a member of the Global Advisory Board. Plus, gift wrapping day at Santa's Anonymous is my favourite day of the year!
It would be awesome to see some Alberta-based startups represented in Austin this spring at the SXSW Pitch Event! I'm really looking forward to seeing pitches & applications from around the world and feeding those trends back into our programming at Startup Edmonton.
All the details are below & if you're interested in submitting an application, please drop me an email.
The categories this year are Augmented & Virtual Reality, Enterprise & Smart Data, Entertainment & Content, Health & Wearables, Hyper-Connected Communities, Payment & FinTech, Security & Privacy, Social & Culture, Sports & Performance Data, and Transportation. I know that Edmonton has loads of companies and ideas in these areas and I can't wait to help you share them on the international stage.
2018 SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event
Take advantage of the opportunity to showcase your emerging technology product or service in front of industry leaders by participating in the 2018 SXSW Accelerator. This event takes place on March 10th and 11th as a part of the SXSW Festival, during which you can improve your product launch, attract venture capitalists, polish your elevator pitch, receive media exposure, build brand awareness, network, socialize and experience all that SXSW Interactive has to offer. The deadline to register is Friday, November 10th at 11:59 pm CST., a few months away, so visit SXSW Accelerator Website today.
Application Deadline to apply: Friday, November 10th at 11:5 9pm CST.
Top 5 Reasons to Enter
- Product validation – Opportunity to showcase your project and startup on a global stage with the goal of matching each startup with top investors both nationally and internationally.
- Work on your Startup Elevator Pitch via pre-event coaching. SXSW Accelerator Coaches work closely with the finalists to assist them in their onstage presentations.
- Over $4k in prize money awarded to the winners of each SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event category.
- Marketing of startup finalists on SXSW media channels and global media channels that attend the event.
- Access to the highest level of influencers from investors, media, and thought leaders.
Launch date eligibility requirements:
- The company’s product or service must have launched no earlier than March 10, 2016;
- The company’s product or service must not launch after June 10, 2018;
- Each company may only enter one product or service to SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event;
- A company that enters more than one product or service will not be eligible to participate in SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event;
- Founders of the company applying must retain some portion of ownership in the company;
- Each applicant is only eligible to present in one of the SXSW family of startup events (SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event, SXSW Release It, SXSW Launched). In contrast, if you have applied for one of these events (other than SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event), and were not accepted to participate, then please feel free to apply to SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event.
- The Company must not have raised over ten (10) Million Dollars in funding from combined funding sources; and
- The product or service must fall into one of the SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event categories.