MOVING YOUR IDEA FORWARD WITH FOUNDATIONAL SKILLS
Taking the first steps towards building a product and company can be really challenging. Figuring out where to start and what to do next can be frustrating; it gets messy and is loads of hard work.
We're here to help! At Startup Edmonton, we have programs, workshops, community events and mentorship to support you every step of the way.
Our new commons membership is a great place to start and connect with a community of builders, founders and hackers.
Your $35/year membership includes:
- A $25 credit to apply to a workshop session of your choice!
- Invitations to Commons Socials - Commons Coffee, Startup Ski Trip and Summer Camp Day.
- Membership card for discounts and offers at partner companies.
- Member rate for all Startup Edmonton and affiliate hub programs.
* Please note: Our Commons Membership does not include access to workspace.
Preflight helps founders and product builders experiment and validate a scalable product idea. We take a hands-on approach to help you make the first real commitment to building a high growth tech-enabled startup.
- Three hours dedicated to the Lean Canvas Model.
- Describe, design, challenge and pivot your product idea based on an evolving hypothesis.
- Outcome: Founders will have a framework to start the process of prioritizing where to start, explore product options and track ongoing learnings.
Join us for a three-hour primer on design thinking. Pulling from lessons from leaders like IDEO, Stanford d.school, and Google Design Sprints, this workshop will give you the tools to start mapping how your customer with interact with your tech-enabled product.
- Introduction to design thinking
- Keeping your customer at the centre of your product
- Tools for ideation and prototyping
Startup 101 sessions are 80 minutes dedicated to a variety of topics to support founders as they build and grow their companies, from marketing and sale to law and accounting.
January 30 | 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Join Alison Walsh, Associate Dentons Canada LLP – Edmonton Office Employment Group, for a primer on employment law basics in Canada.
If you are planning to hire, or hope to hire in the future, getting a grasp on standards in advance is key.
This session will cover:
- The Employment Relationship:
- Employment Contracts
- Employment Standards Code
- Common Law
- Termination of Employment
- Human Rights
February 16, 2017 | 11:45 AM - 1:15 PM
Join Stephanie Enders, Manager - Startup Edmonton, for an 80 min session dedicated to social media strategies for founders and startups. A strong social media plan can help you promote your product, better understand your customer, and foster a community of supporters.
- Learn how to set goals and objectives, select platforms, and create an authentic online voice.
- Review sample timelines and shared workflows.
- Identify meaningful metrics and useful best practices.