ABOUT POPPY BARLEY
After a light bulb moment at a custom boot shop in Bali, sisters Justine and Kendall Barber launched Poppy Barley in 2012. They travelled from their home in Edmonton, Canada, to the city of León, Mexico, in search of a leather shoe factory that prioritized its people and could offer flexibility in sizing and inventory through small-batch manufacturing. With teams in Mexico and Canada, Poppy Barley began producing polished, everyday essential footwear and chic, functional accessories for thousands of customers across North America. In the process, Poppy Barley also became the first company in North America to offer custom fashion boots online.
As we approach our 5th year in business, Poppy Barley’s humble team of 12 is growing. Like, really growing. Dedicated to rethinking every step of the leather goods industry, we’re looking for driven, enthusiastic, big-thinkers to take Poppy Barley from good to great—and have a little fun along the way!
As Assistant Manager of Community, you will be focused on delivering the best experience to customers inside Poppy Barley’s newest venture (the super top-secret details will be revealed when you’re contacted for an interview). You will play an integral role in the success of Poppy Barley by delivering memorable customer experiences, sharing the Poppy Barley story and supporting a team of exceptional, committed associates. In addition to working with customers and associates, you will also play an integral role in developing the community of the store through the organization of events, social media outreach and partnering with the Poppy Barley marketing team.
About What You Do
Motivate and lead the team to achieve store sales and customer experience goals and standards as well as all other designated metrics.
- Model the company culture, and exemplify our shared values on a day-to-day basis, including building enduring relationships and representing the Poppy Barley brand at all times.
- Maximize company sales growth and profitability by supporting the store team to deliver the Poppy Barley brand experience to every customer, every time.
- Continuously create new and noteworthy brand experiences that demonstrates a commitment to “rethinking retail” that support business, brand, culture and people growth that result in driving top line sales.
- Maintain a strong, visible and positive presence on the sales floor spending approximately 75% of your time on the sales floor working with customers and associates.
- Lead by example on the sales floor creating the Poppy Barley brand experience.
- Keep up to date on all product training, company policies and resources.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all company procedures and policies and ensure associate compliance.
- Coach sales associates to deliver the Poppy Barley brand experience.
- Provide specific feedback about performance directly to associates and share observations with the manager.
- Assist the manager in training and developing sales associates in all areas including customer experience, product knowledge and operations.
- Uphold company standards in customer experience, visual merchandising, communication and teamwork.
- Work with the Poppy Barley marketing team to develop store specific marketing initiatives that support the strategic priorities of the marketing department.
- In partnership with the Poppy Barley marketing team, oversee social media outreach from the store.
- Organize store events that support the strategic initiatives identified by the marketing and customer experience teams.
- Maintain an awareness of all product information and status, marketing initiatives, outreach strategies and communicate all pertinent information to store associates.
- Actively engage customers, remain attentive to customer needs and coordinate with the manager to proactively solve difficult or complicated customer issues.
- Communicate regularly with the management team concerning all aspects of sales, training opportunities, customer reaction and feedback, traffic on the sales floor and sales associates’ performance.
- Work with the manager to develop a thorough understanding of sales budgeting, payroll and scheduling, as well as a strong awareness of controllable costs.
- Open and close the store in accordance with company procedures.
- Other projects, duties and assignments as required. Poppy Barley is a close-knit start-up and we all do a little bit of everything!
If this sounds interesting to you (and we hope it does) we are looking for a candidate with the following skills and personal attributes:
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Customer service oriented with a natural desire to care for the needs of others.
- Deep desire to put drive & effort into your work.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial drive.
- Capable of succeeding in a fast paced and highly flexible environment.
- Excellent decision making and problem resolution skills.
- Minimum one year of retail management or customer service experience.
- Understanding of a variety of social media channels.
- Completion of some post-secondary education will be considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), Google Drive applications and key social media platforms.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 15, 2017. We thank all applications for taking the time to apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.