Preflight helps founders and product builders experiment and validate a scalable product idea. We take a hands-on approach to help you make the first real commitment to building a high growth tech-enabled startup.
- Understand startup methodologies and the tools to test your idea, develop prototypes and validate your business model.
- Learn how to build and test an MVP (minimum viable product), verify your customer segments, and start gaining tractions towards funding, sales and growth.
- Learn from experienced entrepreneurs, investors and from a growing community of fellow Preflight participants and Startup Edmonton members.
How it works?
Preflight is four workshop series: Preflight Beta (three hours); Preflight 1 - Customer Validation (5 weeks - three hour session weekly); Preflight 2 - Building an MVP (8 weeks - three hour session weekly, instructional & peer groups); and Preflight 3 - Telling Your Story (5 weeks - three hour session weekly.)
Who is it for?
Preflight is open to all active members of the Startup Edmonton campus, founders in the community wanting to move an idea forward and participants from the Startup 101 workshop series.
Applications to Preflight are accepted on a rolling basis. Requirements:
- Be the owner, founder or co-founder of a startup or have an idea to move forward.
- Your startup is pre-revenue or has annual revenues under $250,000.
- Meet with a Program Coordinator to find your best program fit.
Preflight applications now open
Applications are now open for Preflight. Your annual registration of $349/per person includes one workshop series (Preflight 1, 2 or 3), peer learning group assignments, mentor office hours, member rate for Startup Edmonton workshops*, and all the benefits of our Commons Membership.
Applications are open year round and processed on a weekly basis.
- Preflight 1: Customer Validation | May 16 - June 13
- Preflight 2: Building an MVP | March 2 - April 20
- Preflight 3: Telling Your Story | Dates To Be Announced
*Additional workshop pricing: Preflight 1 $200/per person, Preflight 2 $200/per person, and Preflight 3 $200/per person. Schedule subject to change.
PREFLIGHT 1 - Customer validation
February 7 - March 7, 2017
- 5 weeks dedicated to identifying the problem your product solves and who your customers are.
- Deeper dive into the Lean Canvas Model.
- Sessions include: customer segments, personas, customer discovery and metrics that matter.
- Mix of instructional lessons, presentations and individual assignments.
- Text: The Startup Owner’s Manual by Steve Blank.
- Outcomes: Founders will have the information needed to make a commitment towards becoming a full-time startup.
Preflight 2 - Building an MVP
March 2 - April 20, 2017
- 8 weeks to work through your design problem, decide on a best solution, explore rapid prototyping and validate the prototype.
- Build your MVP, minimum viable product, and move to the next level of development.
- Mix of work sessions, mentorship and instructional lessons.
- Foundations & texts: Sessions use design thinking, championed by IDEO and Stanford's d.school.
- Outcome: Founders will have a product (that has gone through multiple prototypes) that they can continue to build out, get customer feedback on and send to market.
preflight 3 - telling your story
Next Session - Dates To Be Announced
- 5 weeks focused on telling your story to investors, partners and customers.
- Learn the importance of telling your story, the role of visual presentation and how to edit your story for a variety of audiences and platforms.
- Mix of practice pitch sessions, critiques and instructional lessons.
- Text: Venture Deals by Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson.
- Outcome: Founders can effectively pitch investors and communicate to customers about their product.