After an incredible Edmonton Startup Week in October, November is a chance for us to get back to the basics of supporting our city's startup and tech community the best way we know how: programs & mentorship, workspace, student activities, and fostering community events day-in-and-day-out.
Preflight is our most comprehensive program offering support to founders of early-stage tech-enabled companies. We have our 5-week sessions on Customer Validation and Telling Your Story coming up next week. There is no better time to start than now! Scroll down for highlights from one of our current members. If you have any questions or requests, drop me an email anytime.
PREFLIGHT | Meet Brea Johnson - Founder, Heart & Bones
Meet Brea Johnson - Founder, Heart & Bones. In demand around the world but with limited availability, Brea translated her unique approach to a continuing education course for yoga teachers and saw the need for a more on-demand, personalized platform that could serve even more students. We're working with Brea to help her make the transition from wellness practitioner to tech founder with confidence.
"The Startup Edmonton team has been supportive, kind, and encouraging. As a parent, spending those two-hours a week away from my seven-year-old son was worth it. Preflight creates value for my business, and when I feed my business it feeds back to my family.“
Brea is gearing up for a January 2018 product launch and uses mentorship hours that come with her annual Preflight membership to hit critical milestones as she gets closer to the finish line.
We have sessions of Preflight 1: Customer Validation and Preflight 3: Telling Your Story beginning this week!
EDMONTON STARTUP WEEK RECAP
Edmonton Startup Week was a massive success! Thank you for helping us throw the doors to the startup and innovation community wide open to welcome many new faces.
- 56 Events | 31 Partner Organizations | 2,000 Registrations
- 700+ Guests at Launch Party 8
You can check out our recap video and loads of photos over on the blog (and don't forget to pop over to Facebook to grab your shot from the Photo Booth.)
- Launch Party Recap + #yegsw17 Highlights
- Roundhouse Market, Lunchalytics, Valley Tech Talk & Lift Interactive Recap
- If This Then That - How To Stay Connected after #yegsw17
- Thank You & Stay Connected All Year Long
- #YEGSW First Photos
RECOMMENDED READING | TAKE ADVANTAGE OF AD-TECH
We specialize in tech-enabled companies. That's our shorthand for how technology and scale go hand-in-hand; it’s the possibility for a product to expand beyond your expertise and availability.
We know not everyone wants to build a tech-enabled product, but there are still lots of ways that you can integrate top technology trends into your business to help scale marketing, sales, and customer service efforts. What's even better? There are Edmonton-based companies you can tap into for help!
In this recommended reading, Stephanie shares two solutions that you can start integrating into your advertising plans today - one local Startup Edmonton alumni company and one that we met at Boulder Startup Week. Read the full article.
FALL FOUNDATIONS @ STARTUP EDMONTON
- Business Model 101 | November 14, November 30 & December 12
- Having a great idea is just the first step to building an amazing product or service, there are lots of other factors to consider - like your customers, how to reach them, and what they are willing to pay.
- Join us for three hours of hands-on support and feedback on your product & project idea.
- Product Toolkit | November 23
- One of our most requested workshops, our Product Toolkit helps you build products and services your customers will love.
- Join us for three hours of collaborative learning & practical tools to keep a real person at the centre of your product development.
- Startup 101: Social Media Strategies | November 29
- Join us for 90 minutes over the lunch hour and learn how to set goals and objectives for your social media strategy.
- Select platforms and create an authentic online voice
- Review sample timelines and shared workflows
- Identify meaningful metrics and best practices.
DEMOCAMP 38 | Tuesday, November 21 @ 6:45 PM
DemoCamp brings together developers, creatives, entrepreneurs, and investors to share what they’ve been working on and to find others in the community interested in similar topics. For presenters, it’s a great way to get feedback on what you’re building from peers and the community, all in an informal setting. Started back in 2008, DemoCamp Edmonton has steadily grown into one of the largest in the country, with more than 200 people attending each event.
The rules for DemoCamp are simple: 7 minutes to demo real, working products, followed by a few minutes for questions, and no slides allowed. Time: 6:30 pm doors open, 6:45 pm program starts.
We're back for our last session of 2017! Join us on Tuesday, November 21 at CCIS L2-190 (two floors down from our regular location) on the University of Alberta Campus.
The University of Alberta Computer Engineering Club is taking over the Startup Edmonton Mercer Warehouse campus November 18th & 19th for a 24-hour beginner hackathon for post-secondary students.
We couldn't be prouder of the student team that is leading the charge to help first-time hackathon participants be successful, build awesome projects, and learn new skills. You can check out some of the projects from HackED Beta at DemoCamp 38!
This edition is sold-out with more than 125 students. A big shout out to the startup and scaleup companies sending team members to help with mentorship and workshops.