Gfycat is the world's largest platform for user-generated GIFs, using HTML5 video technology to deliver great content to our users. Our content is engaging and viral and our users love to watch and share it. Our users consume these amazing videos on Reddit, Imgur, Twitter, and Facebook.
We are looking for a backend engineer who will improve our platform. We deliver hundreds of millions of page views and need to get ready to 10x that. You describe yourself as a self-starting engineer with strong developing experience. You know web frameworks and feel comfortable making decisions, testing and launching quickly. You feel comfortable using a test framework to measure success. You like data and how it tells a story about how users are consuming your product. You are great at scoping a project size and working in a small team to improve our platform. You must want to work in a start-up environment, be a self-starter and be passionate about everything!
You will be responsible for the creation of high quality, world-class web content for desktop and mobile devices. You will engineer backend components that will present information in new, innovative, and creative ways. Your work will require a focus on compatibility, accessibility, and internationalization.
Your components should be modular, reusable, and well documented. You will experiment with emerging technologies and discuss their merits with fellow team members.
If you are interested in joining a team of passionate people, who like to work hard and play hard, we look forward to hearing from you!
- You will work in a development environment with other developers to design, develop and deliver world-class software solutions.
- You will build efficient and reusable services that can scale to support large numbers of users.
- Optimization of the application for maximum speed and scalability
- You are a motivated self-starter who is highly results driven, takes enormous pride in your work & demonstrates a high degree of enthusiasm for engineering excellence & ongoing self-development
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or Eng. related field 3+ years of object-oriented software development experience
- Experience in nosql, highly scalable, highly concurrent, large datasets-- dynamodb, mongodb, cassandra, or similar
- Experienced in structuring applications through Message Queues. Amazon SQS, RabbitMQ or similar
- Production AWS or Azure deployments
- Experience designing clean and maintainable APIs
- Experience with container-based deployment - e.g., Docker
- Expert in real time data pipelines, and offline processing and analyzing of large datasets through Hadoop or other approaches
- Experience with Bootstrap and React is a plus
- Experience in PHP Symfony2 framework or other similar architectures (Django, Rails, etc).
- Knowledgeable building high volume infrastructure with Varnish/HAProxy, Memcache/Redis, Nginx/Apache, tuning and managing Linux clusters.
- Experience writing unit tests and testable code
- Knowledge of web performance tools and optimization techniques
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and communication skills