Senior Data Engineer
Granify is a high-tech, high-energy, and high-fun eCommerce company, backed by strong Series A investment. We are building an industry-leading optimization platform for online retailers wanting to create a better online shopping experience for their customers. Do you know why some shoppers don’t convert? We do, and we can change their minds.
We’re searching for a Senior Data Engineer who values mastery, authenticity, and positivity to help build and grow our product. As we lead the way into a trillion dollar industry, we want someone who is driven and who drives others - if this is you, we want you to be a part of it!
Love data? Massive amounts of data? Can you look at it and pull out the interesting bits and move it to the best place it needs to be in a reliable fashion, that is timely and scalable? Hate boredom and love tackling the inherent challenges of a fast-paced, evolving tech industry? You'll get a chance to design, build, and improve how we collect, move, and use the massive amounts of data that come into our product, helping take us to the next levels of optimization and transparency.
What You'll Work On
We capture and use lots of data, and different types of data. As a Data Engineer, you will be involved in making sure we have the best way to turn this captured data into actionable knowledge, working closely with our data science and business analysis teams. This knowledge will be used to build machine learning models, creating data marts for generating internal and customer facing reports, and for real time feedback for our optimization strategies. As a senior member of the team you will be responsible for mentoring junior and mid-level developers, and being an example of technical excellence, leading by example.
As Senior Data Engineer with Granify you’ll be:
- Building tools to extract data from various sources, including application logs, access logs, or various existing data sources
- Build and manage batch and real time data pipelines that move data around our ecosystem
- Work with the software engineers to come up with the best way to collect the terabytes of behavioral web data we absorb
- Work with the business analysis team to figure out the data we need in our data warehouse to perform the analysis and create the reports we need
- Work with the data science team to deliver quality data in the most timely fashion to perform machine learning model optimizations
- Participate in code reviews, sharing knowledge, feedback, and ideas - teaching and learning, it’s a two-way street that leads down the road to improvement (pun intended)
- Mentor junior and mid-level engineers
- Passionate about finding elegant solutions to complex technical problems
- Eager to ship often & iterate quickly
- Committed to mastery and craftsmanship in your work
- Curious, consistently looking for better ways to build things and willing to learn about emerging technologies
- Positive and personable - we're all tackling these challenges together!
- Able to communicate with clarity and brevity
- Strong SQL experience and experience with ETL methodologies
- Strong scripting and programming skills (Python, Ruby, Java, etc.)
- Practical experience with distributed solutions in the data ecosystem (HADOOP, Storm, Kafka, Kinesis)
- Willing and interested to learn and work with new languages
- Source control (Git) and familiarity with Unix command line
- Experience working as a data engineer in an Agile environment
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
- AWS knowledge and experience
- Understanding of a breadth current data storage technologies: (Postgres, Redshift, Redis, etc.)
- An interest in machine learning
With offices in both downtown Austin and downtown Edmonton, we’re working to create a collaborative environment where you can do and be your best. Together we’ll be tackling incredible challenges, driving customer value and innovating online retail solutions in 2017 and beyond.
Granify is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. You’ll find limitless opportunities for growth, development, and career progression - the only thing holding you back is you.