Investopedia, is the world’s largest financial education platform, serving over 20 million unique visitors each month. Since 1999, it has been our mission is to empower the investing and financial community with the knowledge to make intelligent financial decisions. Since joining IAC in 2014, we have entered an investment period and are rapidly expanding our content while introducing new tools to further cater to our most sophisticated audience.
We are looking for a strong Senior BI Developer to be part of our business intelligence team. You would be working closely with Investopedia business units to gather their requirements to data, BI reporting and Advanced Analytics; work with BI Architect and IT Subject Matter Experts to design and develop ETL processes, data flow pipelines in Cloud and Big Data environment; conduct in-depth data analysis and troubleshooting to ensure data quality and accuracy.
This is a hands-on position and you will actively participate in application development.
- Develop data set processes for data modeling, mining, and production
- Develop and maintain ETL processes using Cloud and Big Data technologies – AWS and Cloudera experience preferred
- Participate in development of data marts for reports and data visualization solutions
- Support the gathering and translation of business requirements for data acquisition/manipulation and provide detailed specifications that can be passed downstream for use
- Identify, analyze, troubleshoot and communicate technical problems, process, and solutions
- Create Ad-Hoc queries and reports as needed along – Tableau experience preferred
- Recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality
Knowledge, Skills, Attributes
The candidate should exhibit the following core qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or other Information Technology related degree
- 2+ years SQL experience with at least one DBMS: MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server
- 2+ years programming experience with at least one of languages: Python, PHP
- 2+ years’ experience in a Data Warehouse environment
- 2+ years’ experience using at least one BI or analytics tools: Tableau, Google Analytics, Power BI, IBM Cognos, Business Objects, Oracle OBIEE
- High level of technical aptitude with data analysis and troubleshooting experience. Ability to identify data required in different sources, locations and formats, and implement ETL
- Excellent team player and quick learner
Following qualifications are mandatory for the Senior BI Engineer role:
- 5+ years of BI/Data warehouse + Python + database + Unix/Linux and 3+ years of AWS or GCP or Hadoop; desire Google Analytics (GA), CMS or DFP
Following qualifications are highly desired or considered assets:
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or other Information Technology areas
- 5+ years SQL experience to build, debug and optimize complex queries, functions, and procedures
- 5+ years programming experience with Python, PHP to build data pipelines
- 5+ years’ experience in a Data Warehouse and BI environment
- 3+ years’ experience in Cloud and Big Data analytics environment – AWS, Cloudera Hadoop, Hive, Impala, Spark, Kafka, NoSQL, Google Analytics, Google BigQuery, Google Tag Manager preferred
- Experience in Content Management System(CMS), Drupal preferred
- Experience in online publishing, online advertising. Experience with DFP data extract preferred
- Experience in administration and configuration of Cloudera Hadoop, AWS, and database
Here are a few reasons to work with us…
- Because we were voted one of the Best Places to Work in 2016 by Business Intelligence Group (http://bit.ly/1UmhijO)
- Because our employees love us on Glassdoor! (http://bit.ly/1VN8EgG)
- Because you get to work with this guy! (David Siegel, CEO interview with Forbes) (http://onforb.es/1Qntovl)
- And these guys and gals! (http://bit.ly/2chB0lX)
We care about our business and want you to know everything from goals to numbers to what’s for lunch. We have doubled in size in less than a year and we’re excited about growth, innovation, hard work, and fun!
We have some of the greatest benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, RRSP Matching Program (matches up to 5% per pay day), free parking, tuition reimbursement, charity gift matching and FREE snacks. More importantly – we know how hard you work so we celebrate that hard work often.