DrugBank is the world’s largest online database of drug and drug-target information. Our mission is to structure and organize the world’s pharmaceutical knowledge to enable new drug discoveries and new kinds of medicine.
DrugBank started at the University of Alberta in 2006 and is now used by millions of researchers and pharmacists around the world as well as many of the top pharmaceutical companies working in drug discovery research. With thousands of citations in academic literature, DrugBank is a core resource for drug information in academia and industry.
Join us and you will enjoy a bustling startup vibe where everyone has fun, cooperates, and sees the impact of their work!
As a Senior Data Scientist – Machine Learning Specialist, you will have expertise in Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) concepts and techniques, with a deep understanding of Natural Language Processing (NLP) methodology and practice.
• Lead NLP project work to advance internal and external software tools
• Work with the software development team to explore new product advancements
• Design, test, and conduct ML/AI experiments for specific scenarios and problems
• Work with the Data Curation team to increase efficiencies in data curation processes
• Your work and project history is reflective of a self-motivated professional who excels when given open-ended problems and broadly-defined goals
• You are a natural leader, willing to mentor teammates, while also finding benefit in mutual learning
• You like facing challenges and thrive in the face of complex problems to solve
• You are detail-oriented, but can also see the bigger picture
• You have a knack for bridging the gap between customer and product
• You are personable, have strong communications skills (both written and verbal), and are excited by the thought of working in an open office setting
• You have a positive attitude
• You want to be a part of a company that wants to change the world
• An advanced degree in STEM
• 5-10 years of academic and/or industry experience in conducting ML/AI projects
• High level of experience in NLP projects is a must
• Expertise in R, and Python or Java
• Deep understanding of PyTorch, TensorFlow, or an equivalent machine learning platform
• Ability to write and test production-quality object-oriented code
Bonus Points if:
• You have experience working in a startup environment
• You have worked in health tech
• You have experience in SQL
• Detailed knowledge of at least one popular Deep Learning library, and a proven ability to implement in practice any neural network configuration described in literature
• You have been published in peer-reviewed conferences or journals
• You like Oreos, Mario Kart, and team outings
At DrugBank you’ll work hard, learn quickly, and have plenty of excitement on a daily basis. Our company is constantly growing and evolving which means you will have lots of opportunity for learning, growth, and new challenges, and you will get to see the difference you make every day.
We have an amazing office space downtown that is well stocked with snacks and coffee, and we have catered team lunches every single Friday. We offer a competitive salary and provide extended health benefits with fully paid premiums.
DrugBank is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin*, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job Status: Contract (18 months with the possiblity of extension)